Although not placed within one of the buildings, Claes Oldenburg and Coosje van Bruggen's permanent sculpture still has a connection to the fort. Monument to the Last Horse, 1991, is homage to Louie, the last cavalry horse who was laid to rest in 1932 and the former military history of the site.
Longtime friends of Judd, Oldenburg and van Bruggen donated the sculpture to the Chinati Museum in 1991. It is inscribed, as was the crumbling concrete marker that formally indicated the grave, with the phrase Animo et Fide or ""spirited and faithful."
Claes Oldenburg and Coosje van Bruggen, Monument to the Last Horse, 1991. Aluminum and polyurethane foam; painted with polyurethane enamel. 19 ft. 8 in. x 17 ft. x 12 ft. 4 in. (6 x 5.2 x 3.8 m). Permanent collection, the Chinati Foundation, Marfa, Texas. Photo by Florian Holzherr, 2001. Photo courtesy the Oldenburg van Bruggen Studio. Copyright 1991 Claes Oldenburg and Coosje van Bruggen.