2016 NEA Jazz Masters Tribute Concert at the Kennedy Center
WHAT: National Endowment for the Arts honors the 2016 NEA Jazz Masters at a tribute concert held in collaboration with the John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts, hosted by Jason Moran.
The 2016 NEA Jazz Masters are:
- Gary Burton—Vibraphonist, Bandleader, Educator
- Wendy Oxenhorn*—Musicians’ Advocate
- Pharoah Sanders—Saxophonist, Composer
- Archie Shepp—Saxophonist, Composer, Educator
* Wendy Oxenhorn is the recipient of the 2016 A.B. Spellman NEA Jazz Masters Award for Jazz Advocacy, which is bestowed upon an individual who has contributed significantly to the appreciation, knowledge, and advancement of jazz.
The concert will include remarks by Jane Chu, chairman of the National Endowment for the Arts; Deborah F. Rutter, president of the Kennedy Center; as well as the 2016 NEA Jazz Masters. The concert will feature performances by NEA Jazz Masters Chick Corea, Randy Weston, and Jimmy Heath, as well as Ambrose Akinmusire, Lakecia Benjamin, Billy Harper, Stefon Harris, Justin Kauflin, Rudresh Mahanthappa, Pedrito Martinez, Jason Moran, David Murray, Linda Oh, Karriem Riggins, Roswell Rudd, and Catherine Russell.
WHEN: Monday, April 4, 2016 at 8:00 p.m.
Please note, the 2016 NEA Jazz Masters will have limited availability for media interviews but requests can be sent to Liz Auclair at email@example.com. Please send requests by Thursday, March 31 at 12 p.m.
WHERE: Kennedy Center Concert Hall (2700 F Street, NW, Washington, DC, 20566); video-streamed live at arts.gov, Kennedy-Center.org, and NPR.org/Music; and audio-streamed at SiriusXM Channel 67, Real Jazz.
MEDIA RSVP: To secure admission and camera locations, crews must RSVP by Monday, April 4 at 12 p.m. Media are allowed to capture up to 15 minutes of the event and broadcast fewer than three minutes. A mult box will be provided for stage sound. All equipment must be self-contained.
# # #