CREATIVE WRITING FELLOWSHIPS: Applicant Eligibility
You are eligible to apply in Prose if you meet the following requirements:
- You are a citizen or permanent resident of the United States.
- You have not received two or more Fellowships (in poetry, prose, or translation) from the National Endowment for the Arts. If you have received any award from the National Endowment for the Arts, you must have submitted acceptable Final Reports to the Arts Endowment by their due date(s).
- You have not received any National Endowment for the Arts Literature Fellowship (in poetry or prose) or Translation Fellowship on or after January 1, 2013 (FY 2013).
- This is your only application to the Arts Endowment for FY 2022 individual support. You may not apply for both a Literature Fellowship under this deadline and a Translation Project under the January 13, 2021 deadline.
- You have had published, between January 1, 2014, and March 10, 2021:
- At least five (5) different short stories, works of short fiction, excerpts from novels or memoirs, or creative essays (or any combination thereof) in two or more literary magazines, journals, anthologies, or publications that regularly include fiction and/or creative nonfiction as a portion of their content; or
- A novel or novella; or
- A volume of short fiction or a collection of short stories; or
- A volume of creative nonfiction.
To qualify, work must have been published for the first time with an eligible publisher between these dates, not only reprinted or reissued in another format during this period. Publishers are eligible if they have a stated marketing and distribution policy; publish work with competitive selection and a stated editorial policy; and offer professional editing.
You may use digital, audio, or online publications to establish eligibility, provided that the publisher has a competitive selection process and stated editorial policy. If the online publication or website no longer exists, you must provide, upon request, sufficient evidence that your work once appeared online. If sufficient evidence cannot be provided, the online publication will not be eligible.
The following may not be used to establish eligibility:
- Pre-publication material, such as galleys, proofs, and advance reader's copies.
- Work that has appeared in a publication for which you are the editor, publisher, or staff.
- Collaborative work.
- Scholarly writing.
- Instructional writing.
- News Reporting.
- Book reviews.
- Editorials/letters to the editor.
- Student-led publications and publications that primarily print work by persons who are affiliated with a particular academic institution.
- Any publication by presses that do not have a stated marketing and distribution policy; publish work without competitive selection or a stated editorial policy; or publish work without professional editing.
See "How to Apply" for the documentation required to demonstrate eligibility.
IMPORTANT: Your application will not be eligible if incorrect or insufficient publication information is provided. Ineligible applications will be rejected without panel review.